We’re often asked about reusable bags. Customearthpromos.com makes custom bags from a variety of materials. Each material has pros and cons, so the best reusable bags depend on the project manager.
Manufacturing and shipping reusable bags affect the environment, but they’re more eco-friendly than paper or plastic bags. High-quality bags are greener in many ways.
How do you choose a reusable bag? This guide will help you choose materials. Consider how to wash reusable bags. The best reusable grocery bags are easy to clean.
Cotton Bags vary. Customearthpromos.com offers reusable traditional, organic, and recycled cotton bags. Recycled cotton is made from organic and traditional cotton scraps that would otherwise be landfilled. Traditional cotton production uses natural fibers but more chemicals than other crops. Cotton has different ounce weights. Compare like bags by weight. Cotton makes the best reusable grocery bags due to its many benefits.
- Biodegradable plant fibre
- soft and touchable
- available worldwide
- Machine wash cold with like colors. Air-drying reduces shrinkage and preserves printing.
- cotton is ideal for printing logos on reusable bags. Some custom cotton bags can be full-bleed printed in addition to screen and heat transfer.
- not water-resistant unless treated
- water-hungry crop
- Non-organic cotton uses 16% of the world’s pesticides.
Hemp is pesticide- and fertilizer-free and drought-resistant. Three to six tonnes of dry fiber per acre. Hemp fibers are longer, stronger, and more durable than cotton.
- Strong, durable, rot-resistant
- Grows in poor, dry soil
- Refined hemp is smooth and soft.
- Machine washable hemp bags
- Hemp gets stronger with use and “breaks in” well.
- grainy, but mostly refined. Water is used to refine hemp.
Jute also called hessian or burlap, is a natural plant fiber.
- Renewably sourced
- Biodegradable and compostable
- Grows in high-rainfall areas without pesticides or irrigation
- Not moisture-resistant unless treated or laminated
Flexible resin polymer polypropylene is a plastic. Due to their low cost and durability, some consider nonwoven polypropylene bags the best reusable grocery bags. Gsm measures nonwoven polypropylene bags (grams per square meter). Gsm measures material density. Gsm measures material strength. Density affects bag quality and durability.
- Woven to be less porous and easier to clean
- Many color options
- Rare in the us
- Machine-washing discouraged (hand wash or spray clean only)
Nylon was created to replace silk in fabrics.
- Nylon is tough
- Folds easily, fits in a pocket, purse, backpack, or car cup holder
- Easily dyed, creating color options
- A petrochemical
- Overuse can degrade screenprinting inks
Polyester is made from pet, the same material as drink bottles. Polyester can be reheated and recycled into polymer fibers.
- Water and mold-resistant polyester
Recycled pet fabric is made from recycled plastic bottles and containers. Recycling pet saves oil and nonrenewable resources. Reusable pet bags promote post-consumer recycling.
- Pet manufacturing uses 2/3 less energy
- Blends well with hemp or polyester for reusable bags.
- Transporting, sorting, and recycling post-consumer waste uses energy and can pollute (reduce, reuse, recycle).
If you are interested in purchasing any bags including RPET Bags, you can reach us. Don’t delay!